Green Gamer Girl

Quatloos are a girls best friend

Friday, January 20, 2006

Feeling the Flow

I'm watching that programme about the aspiring fashion designers whilst waiting for City of Villians to load and it's so wrong.
Fashion designers have the easiest job in the world. I could do that job if the people in the industry didn't look so horrible... And if I was interested. Oh and if I knew about making clothes, which I don't. What am I saying? I don't want to be a fashion designer.
Now I'm beginning to wonder if its the people in industries like that who are nasty, or if it is just the students. I think it is the students.

Adam Skull King is playing already. He's feeling down and the best way to deal with feeling down is to knock the fuck out of something large and fanged. Add a few encouraging teammates, throw in a bit of XP, hope that there is no lag and log on. Lose 3 hours in the flow.

A nice little definition of Flow - stolen from Jesper Juul's website http://www.half-real.net/

The concept of flow (Csikszentmihalyi 1990) describes an optimal mental state where a person is complete occupied with a task that matches the person's skills, being neither too hard (leading to anxiety) or easy (leading to boredom).

Flow has seven traits:

A challenging Activity That Requires Skills
The Merging of Action and Awareness
Clear Goals and Feedback
Concentration on the Task at Hand
The Paradox of Control
The loss of Self-Consciousness
The Transformation of Time

It's so obvious isn't it? Fun is simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home